CHANEL SMITH - BIOKINETICIST,
PRETORIA OLD EAST
Chanel Smith is a biokineticist situated in Hatfield, Pretoria.
Orthopedic rehabilitation can be life-changing. This skilled Biokinetics can get you back on track with your daily activities after surgery, an injury, accident, or illness.
This rehabilitationinvolves the care of your entire musculoskeletal system, which includes your:
- ligaments and tendons
- connective tissue
The Orthopedic Rehab will include:
- determining the appropriate movement diagnosis
- creating a treatment plan
- administering therapeutic care
- educating you about how to manage your current injury or condition to prevent further injury
Cardiac rehabilitation is a medically supervised exercise programme for patients with a cardiac(heart) condition and/or cardiovascular disease.
Coronary Artery Disease (CAD) is the most common form of heart disease. The site of the plaque determines the type of heart disease:
- Coronary artery disease is the build-up of plaque in the arteries supplying blood to the heart.
- Peripheral artery disease is the build-up of plaque in the arteries supplying blood to the arms and legs.
- Carotid artery disease is the build-up of plaque in the arteries that supply blood to the brain.
Goals of Cardiac Rehabilitation
- Improve your health and quality of life
- Educate you on how to exercise safely
- Reduce the need for medication to treat heart or chest pain
- Prevent future cardiac problems
- Reduce your cardiovascular risk factors
- Increase for overall physical activity
- Improve your confidence in your body and capabilities
- and even help you live longer
Elderly and Frailty Rehab,
Rehabilitation approaches to frailty are in the early stages of development. Frailty also shows promise as a prognostic indicator for rehabilitation programs, similar to its application in other areas of medicine.
The principles of a frailty intervention program that have been demonstrated to be clinically and economically effective are as follows:
- first, frailty can be mitigated;
- second, support needs are individually addressed;
- third, the interventions aim to improve physical, cognitive and social functioning;
- fourth, support has to be delivered over a long time period;
- finally, systems must facilitate consistent management.
- Most frail older people are encouraged and supported to adhere to their intervention plan.
- It is important to recognize the needs of families and/or carers and to engage with them.
Prenatal sessions & Pregnancies,
Antenatal classes, also called birth and parenting classes, help you and your partner to get ready for labour, birth, breastfeeding and caring for a newborn baby. Most people say going to classes helps them feel more confident as the birth approaches.
Antenatal classes teach you about:
- how to prepare for labour
- the signs of labour and when to call the hospital
- the different stages of labour
- different birthing positions
- relaxation and breathing skills to use during labour
- early parenting
- newborn baby behaviour
Children & Adolescent Obesity,
Treatment of childhood obesity depends on several factors, these include:
- The child’s age
- Co-occurring medical
- conditions (such as high cholesterol,
- high blood pressure,
- other obesity-related conditions)
Treatment for childhood obesity may involve:
- Changes in the child’s diet and eating habits
- An increase in the child’s physical activity level
- Weight loss surgery or medication (only under specific circumstances)
- Behavioral counseling
Weight-loss Exercise Prescription.
The aim of this systematic review was to identify principles of exercise interventions associated with improved physical function, weight management or musculoskeletal pain relief among young and middle-aged adults with obesity and propose an evidence-based exercise prescription that could assist in secondary prevention of osteoarthritis.
- Seven studies were included.
- Similarities in exercise intensity (40–80% VO2max)
- frequency (three times per week), duration (30–60 min)
- exercise mode (treadmill, cross-trainer, stationary bike, aquatic exercise)
- Were observed in exercise interventions that resulted in improved physical function and/or pain, compared to non-exercise control groups.
Map & Directions
450 Glyn Street,